Private Drug Discovery
Pharmaceutical Plant No. 3
Nissan Chemical entered into the pharmaceutical business in 1982, and launched an external preparation, ketoprofen (EPATEC®) in 1985. In 1994, efonidipine hydrochloride (LANDEL®),a Ca antagonist was launched as our company's first new pharmaceutical for the indication of hypertension. Renoparenchymal hypertension and angina pectoris were added as its additional indications in 1998. In South Korea, efonidipine hydrochloride (FINTE®) was also launched in 2003.
Pitavastatin calcium (LIVALO®), a statin agent with a strong LDL cholesterol reduction, for the indication of hyperlipidemia was marketed in Japan in 2003. LIVALO® was also launched in the United States, Latin America, European, and Asian countries. It is also planning to be launched in other countries and territories. Global development is steadily progressing.
Concerning the new drug development pipelines, a therapeutic agent for asthma and peripheral arterial disease (NT-702), a therapeutic and preventive drug for atrial fibrillation (NTC-801) and a new therapeutic agent for thrombocytopenia (NIP-022) are under development.
Nissan Chemical keeps trying research and development for innovative medicines by using the strategic chemical library, the state-of-the-art evaluation technology and precise organic synthesis technology.
- Pitavastatin calcium is a statin agent with a strong LDL cholesterol reduction, which causes less drug-interactions. It is distributed by Kowa Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. in Japan. This agent is recognized as one of the "Strong statins" in clinical practice. It was also launched in the United States, Latin America, European, and Asian countries. It is also planning to be launched in other countries and territories.
- Efonidipine hydrochloride (LANDEL®, FINTE®) is a dual type Ca antagonist that blocks not only L-type calcium channels but also T-type ones. LANDEL® is distributed by Zeria Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and Shionogi & Co., Ltd. in Japan, and FINTE® is distributed by Green Cross Co. in South Korea. This agent shows beneficial effects on hypertension and angina pectoris. In addition, the agent is expected to show a renal protective and a cardioprotective effects.
New Medicines under Development
- NT-702 has both a phosphodiesterase inhibitory effect and a thromboxane A2 synthetase inhibitory effect. NT-702 is expected to be a novel agent for asthma and intermittent claudication associated with peripheral arterial disease.
- NIP-022 is an orally active agent which may increase platelet count by activating a receptor for thrombopoietin. NIP-022 is expected to be a novel agent for various thrombocytopenia.
- NTC-801 is a new antiarrhythmic agent that inhibits the acetylcholine-activated potassium channel current (IKACh). NTC-801 is expected to be an atrial selective agent for the treatment of atrial fibrillation since IKACh channel is apparent in the atrium but not in the ventricle.